In a music industry that is more saturated than it has ever been before, originality is a hard thing to come by. So it is nothing short of a joy when artists as exceptionally real as Pritt come onto the scene. The South London artist has been making waves with her truly raw offering to R&B. Incorporating her Tamil heritage, she features stunning Carnatic melodies that keep listeners coming back for more.
![]() |
| source: @urgirlpritt via instagram |
Judging from her talent alone, it is no question that Pritt was destined for the spotlight. But for the artist, this was quite literally the case for much of her upbringing. “My mum is a Tamil and drama teacher so I was on stages from the age of 2 onwards. I only knew I wanted to pursue is properly when I was around 16 or 17 and here we are. Music has always played a huge role in my life and it makes me feel a type of way and I wanted other people to connect with me in that sense through my music - that’s what felt natural.”
And connect they did. From there, Pritt’s music has seen her sore to new heights, one of which being her feature on BBC’s Asian Network Future Sounds 2021. “It was surreal,” she says, “I’ve always wanted to record in the BBC radio theatre for as long as I can remember so for it to come to life was mad! It’s also a huge space so I genuinely felt like I was on stage in front of thousands of people!” Making history as the 1st Tamil woman to ever be featured on Future Sounds, Pritt’s music has impacted more than just her fans, but the way the industry sees and celebrates Tamil culture.
Pritt is also the cofounder of A collective: SOUL, a platform that was brought to fruition by the goal of ‘Giving all creatives in their respective fields a chance to truly shine’. “It came from a place of frustration and feeling out of place. There weren’t a lot of places I could turn to when I first got into the industry and I never want anyone else to feel how I felt… ever! I created this platform so people could network and meet new people but also have a safe space to be themselves shamelessly! A collective: SOUL represents underrepresented creatives to feel as if they have a say and eventually find people who are like minded along the way!”
The drive to authentically connect and share experiences through her sound is a defining element of what makes Pritt’s music and lyrics so hypnotising. The process of songwriting has always been a cathartic one, she says. “Having a lot of freedom to write about everything and anything and it still be taken in a different context. I love the ambiguity of it and the way I’m able to tell a story through my lyrics. I’m queen of writing a song with a pinch of truth and HELLA conviction! Personal experiences definitely help a lot.”
With R&B championing the airways in recent years, Pritt isn’t short of references when asked about fellow artists who inspire her. “I love SZA’s lyrics like she is literally telling you how it is and I find it so real! My friend Summer has amazing music out and her lyrics again are so sick! I definitely pay attention to the lyrics more than the song. Dave is a storyteller, Little Simz is a wordsmith, and Shan Vincent de Paul - the way he talks about things is so admirable and close to home.” With inspirations spanning from across genres, it is fitting that like her inspirations, Pritt’s style simply can’t be contained into just one category.
Across her social presence, it is noticed that many of Pritt’s projects have featured fellow artist S.A.M., who shares her passion for smooth rhythmical vocals. In classic 2020 style, she said many of their collaborations have began electronically. “We’ve known each other for ages and we were like ‘How come we’ve never actually worked with each other?’ Both singles were created over FaceTime so very much a quarantine ting for real!”
Quarantine has brought new struggles and obstacles for us all, and the music industry in particular has changed as we know it. “I love being busy, so I lost a lot of motivation and drive because my life was so stagnant and samey but I eventually got out of it.” Like many of us, Pritt utilised social media for the better, and used the time as an opportunity, rather than a missed one. “The pandemic allowed me to get to know my audience a little more and work on music - self improvement and teaching myself to engineer etc. This whole situation has been a blessing in disguise.”
COVID-19 has redefined how music can be celebrated and enjoyed, and in turn, for Pritt, success isn’t restricted to facts and figures. “Success is so subjective, it’s a personal achievement really so for me is, doing better than my last achievement and staying consistent. I have proud and memorable moments but all of that is God. Success is longevity for me, I’m in it for the long run.” When asked about her future plans, Pritt leaves us dangling on a metaphorical cliffhanger. “I’ve stopped planning that far ahead because you actually don’t know what’s gonna happen next! The furthest I plan is a year and then I have a rough idea of what I want my future to look like. I just want to feel content with what I’m doing and be myself doing what I love!” In terms of music, she assures us that 2021 has a lot in store for Pritt fans everywhere. “You guys are in for a treat! Got a couple projects, collaborations and visuals ready to drop but I don’t think you’re ready!
See more from Pritt via Instagram: @urgirlpritt
By Rose Cornish
Published in Lightwork Magazine

Comments
Post a Comment