Skip to main content

SPOTLIGHT ON: Hannah Dimmitt

Although the South is known for its barbecue and cowboys, perhaps a little less obviously is its inheritance of young creative. Namely, is Dallas-Fort Worth Texas resident Hannah Dimmitt, a young mind making waves with her fun and fresh take on portrait, product, and fine art photography. “I've been in Texas since I was three years old!” A large portion of her stay has been spent invested in her craft. “I've been photographing for 10+ years now! But please don’t ask to see my photos 10 years ago… In high school people's parents started paying me to take senior photos and I was like, ‘I can make money from this?! Oh hell yeah.’”

via hannahdimmitt.com

Her early love affair of portraits saw her skills progress very naturally into a particular category of her work in the present day, coming in the form of gorgeously stylised takes on 80’s glamour shots. The soft glint and sparkle over permed hair, high ponies, and a neon wardrobe have become somewhat of a signature look for Dimmitt’s brand, as a fun afternoon experience she provides for birthdays and other occasions. “Growing up my parents always played 80's music, so I think it's very nostalgic for me. I also have such a vibrant love for colour [.] I like to make sure I'm bringing the client's vision to life while also including some of my ideas and a lil' razzle dazzle, you know?”


Her love of decades of years gone by continues in her choices of locations in her shoots, notably, the focus on quintessentially American architecture. 50’s diners and roller rinks serve as a supporting model when she captures cityscapes. “The more I photographed and connected with my community and really went all in on creating, the more I fell into the retro world. I feel like I've grown into it and made it my own.” When asked what pulled her towards this particular aesthetic and why it has gained popularity in the last decade, Dimmitt has a moment of introspection. “I’ve been pondering that myself, actually,” She admits. “America is a baby compared to other countries. We don't have deeply rooted traditions and history [.] I think we glamorise the drive-in theatres and diners with retro-nostalgia, and [see them as] our history and tradition”.


However, her affinity for past eras does not define the work she creates. In fact, something that most visibly stands out in Dimmitt’s work, is the styling element of her shoots. It is immediately clear that fashion is a conscious focus, and with a doubly gorgeous range of models, she exhibits diversity with both style and substance. “I love styling my photoshoots. I have a frugalness and love for thrift shopping. I found that when I style my shoots, I am building all of these little puzzle pieces to bring the final product together.” While the fashion itself is a personal indulgence that Dimmitt enjoys, its the process of creating the final image that truly fascinates her. “It’s all puzzle pieces!” With recent trials of outsourcing in collaborations with external stylists, its unlocked an entirely different dynamic in her work. “A client will have an idea in mind for a 60's photoshoot, and I then can hire a wardrobe stylist to bring that aspect of the vision to life and I can solely concentrate on the photography and editing. It amazes me at how everything always comes together.”


In an ever changing industry, finding a niche as a photographer is somewhat expected, Dimmitt is fortunate that whatever direction an image can take, there remains a coherency that her followers and clients appreciate. “I think it's absolutely wonderful when someone can immediately recognise my work as mine, it makes my heart so entirely happy,” she gushes, referencing the dreamy pastel and jewel tones patterned through her photographs. “I definitely try to go off of emotion and feeling when it comes to my colour palettes. It's all very spontaneous and magically happens.” But like many creatives, she doesn’t want to be kept in a box, assuring that any sort of continuity in her work is more so a happy accident, ebbing and flowing in process. “It just so happens that it all has a recognisable aesthetic to it! I tap into a creative state and just let everything happen as it happens. I have high energy and ideas come quickly and I execute them just as spontaneously.”


2020 has been a whirlwind of a year for us all, and for Hannah, navigating her way through it has a lot to do with her art. “I only recently started painting again,” she says, in reference to the Basquiat-esque canvases she has been sharing on social media. “Quarantine has a lot to do with it. My boyfriend Anthony Sims is a fine artist, so our garage is absolutely filled with canvas and paints [.] Watching him work and grow inspired me in more ways than I can possibly explain. I tapped into that sort of emotion and just began to create”. Making the best of a bad situation this year has lead Hannah down the path of doing product photography, also. “I only work with people who I know fit my style and I can rock with, so I can remain happy with what I create.” Luckily for Hannah, her portfolio not only makes sense in its palette and style, but even when dabbling in commercial work, it keeps its consistency. “I’ve been receiving shipments of product and shooting remotely from my home and DIY studio. It's been so groovy!”


Her positive and bubbly outlook on life is admirable to say the least, and the secret to Hannah Dimmitt’s success? “I am surrounded by the most beautiful and supportive people. I am entirely grateful. Everyone has believed in me since the beginning and have gotten to watch my journey change, grow, and evolve. (If you're reading this, and you think I am talking about you- I am. Thank you. Truly.).”


To see more, visit: hannahdimmitt.com


By Rose Cornish


Published in Lightwork Magazine 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me, Myself, and susan, i think

“Someone once told me that my hair reminded them of a mum called Susan,” the all-lower-case susan laughs, recalling the moment their stage name was born. Suddenly the gold ring reading ‘MUM’ on their finger makes a little more sense. “It just stuck after that. I even had to collect a parcel addressed to ‘Susan’ and I couldn’t even prove it was for me!”   In a refreshing tranquil coffee shop off the busy brick lane, it has been a few weeks since dreamy pop outfit 'susan' and their have played their first self-organised show. Surrounded by friends, the night is a collection of artists and musical supports, finished off with the debuting the brand new EP ‘spit on it’.   Like any gig, the goal is to escape the real world for a couple of hours, and leave any inhibitions at the door. “It’s like the Caribbean in here!” is heard from the doorway of the bunker-like venue, as funk and soul music blares out from the decks of their opening DJ.   photography by Darryl Machivenyika The...

SPOTLIGHT ON: Claire Barrow

  It isn’t unjust to say that a muse is one of the forefront what makes a fashion designer great. A person, place or era to provoke the foundations of fashion's most innovative eureka moments. In many ways, the UK’s diverse and fluid communities have inspired some of the most pivotal and iconic moments in fashion history.   For young designer Claire Barrow , her fascination with underground London punk subcultures is the core drive behind her effortlessly unique brand. Originally from the Stockton-On-Tees, Barrow attended the University of Westminster, where she pursued her love of fashion. It was during the sandwich year of the course when she first dipped her toe into the industry by customising vintage leather jackets, giving them an artistic rebirth varying from hand painted designs, to original prints and textiles.   Seam to seam, preloved jackets became works of art in their own right, adorned with quirky and eccentric creatures, and abstract experiments with shapes...

SPOTLIGHT ON: MARIA-GULINA

  In the Western bubble of fast fashion and high street retail giants, it’s easy to forget that the domination of what fashion means to us and our society isn’t necessarily a universal truth. For Maria Gulina, this had always been the case, living and originating in Russia until she was nine years old. “In Russia fashion wasn’t a big deal at all, or at least not at the time for me. Moving to London was a huge culture shock and I soon realised that you had to have the right shoes, and the right kind of school bag or you just weren’t deemed as cool enough.”   via maria-gulina.com Experiencing the very harsh and very real pressures that accompany the West’s affinity with materialism, it wasn’t until Maria had spent time settling into her surroundings for her to gain the confidence to experiment. “I realised that actually, I just wanted to stand out and express myself. But I couldn’t find any clothes I could really connect with and express myself with.” It was this lack of connect...