With fashion photography booming more than it ever has before, Cameron Reed from Houston, Texas is definitely a young talent to watch. Recognised for his vibrant hues and innovative angles, Reed’s style has been shaped through his youth.
![]() |
| via instagram.com/cameronxreed |
“I first started at the end of junior year of high school. I picked up a camera for the first time, and I started out making videos but that wasn't my calling.” He began to find his feet in what he realised were his true passions in his senior year of high school. “The beginning of that year is when I began to shoot fashion. It became a realisation when I did a couple of shoots that were more fashion based, and they started to gain more and more attention.”
His journey of finding his footing in photography unlocked what would grow to be his calling in the industry. “I have always had a passion for fashion. It was just hidden, because it wasn't my main focus early on in my life.”
Reed’s progression into his career was a swift one. Starting from such a young age, it wasn’t long until opportunities presented themselves and he could begin to make his mark. “Shooting for different clothing brand companies in my city and also being featured in multiple magazines/articles helped me develop.
“However, I wouldn't say that one specific event helped me get more into the fashion scene, it was just the hard work that I produced that got me there.” To date his portfolio is nothing short of impressive, armed already with features in Vogue Italia, Vogue Arabia, Houston Chronicle, and French media source Artistik Renzo, just to name a few.
“Fashion, unique, editorial, diverse, and different.” He says when asked to encompass his photographs in just a few words. “I say that because I strive for my fashion to be as editorial as it can be, but I want people to know that it is my style.”
He does so effortlessly, incorporating fresh new concepts that wouldn’t look out of place on billboards, while using humbly engaging locations ranging from high school bleachers, to beaches at dusk, and bodegas. “Many photographers have a different look to their photos that makes them all unique. When you look at their work you can tell that they shot it. That is what I want with my work.”
Reed’s main stylistic influences come in the form of rap’s favourite photographer Gunnerstahl, and Tyler Mitchell, the man responsible for Beyonce’s iconic 2018 Vogue cover. “I look up to both of them a lot. Gunnerstahl was my main inspiration for starting photography, and Tyler Mithell is who I wanna be with my own look and contribution to fashion photography.”
As many creative can attest, inspiration can come from anywhere. Reed is no exception. “It was behind a park.” He recollects some of the more surprising places he’s found motivation for his work. “I was at the park one day and I saw this beach type shore that sat behind the whole park, and I thought it would be a perfect place for a fashion shoot.”
Like many creatives, Cameron is aiming for the big time. “The dream is to work for a brand as a full time photographer like Dior, or Louis Vuitton.” Such a dream being particularly tangible with the tease of being based in the US. “Or perhaps working as a full time photographer for a magazine like Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, or G.” In fact, Cameron’s work got a lease of exposure to the masses when the Internet trend #voguechallenge came into play.
The hashtag was created in the midst of lockdown to showcase creatives and their work that they would want on the infamous cover. As a tool, Reed’s Instagram (@cameronxreed) presents his work to an impressive 22K followers, almost used as a portal into his mind, and how he sees the world through his lens. All while showing the ins and outs of his photoshoots, with before and after shots of his process. “Shooting fashion is my calling,” He tweets.
Picking out a stand out moment in his photography is a tricky one for Reed. “I guess all of my achievements have been special to me. I can't really say a specific one. I take all of the blessings as they come to me. They have all impacted my career greatly. More money coming in and bigger opportunities.”
Although being recognised by notable names in the industry have been some of the moments that keep his determination. Determination that could easily have been strained by a world in lockdown. “COVID-19 did affect my business at the beginning when the whole country was on complete lockdown, but now since things have started to open back up and get to a new normal, my business has been rolling steady.” With this in mind, open spaces and natural surroundings are a useful element to Cameron’s work, failing to stifle his talent. I have had no issues up to this point being creative. I’m still careful though.”
With a world whose fate is changing almost on a daily basis, the incentive to reflect and grow is arguably stronger than ever, particularly for creatives with nothing but time on their hands. So what can we expect from Cameron Reed in the coming months? “I’m working on part two of my project ‘Where do we go from here?’. The project as a whole is fashion based and the name comes from the current situation we face right now with COVID-19. We can't really do much and there may never be a new normal. So the question that we ask is; Where do we go from here?”
Follow Cameron on IG at @cameronxreed
Follow Cameron on X at www.x.com/CAMSVISUALART
By Rose Cornish
Published by Lightwork Magazine 2020

Comments
Post a Comment